C-Hill at Sunset

C-Hill at Sunset
Here is the Sunset of C-Hill, C-Hill is a prodominate landmark at Chadron State College and of the City of Chadron, NE

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Hello and Welcome to the London Express

  
Hello everyone, and welcome to London Express! This is my blog on my short-term study abroad to London, England. This would be a part of the Justice Studies Program (optional) here in Chadron State College in Chadron, NE. I will travel with nine other students and one teacher, Dr. Tracy Nobiling. This is a trip everyone has been excited for, for some time. The hard work, mostly paper work, is finally going to pay off in just under 11 weeks.

For those of you who do not know much about this trip, there is a yearly option for students to go this trip. The London experience is both an academic one and a cultural one. For academic we will most likely visit New Scotland Yard, Old Bailey Crown Court, the U.K.'s version of the Supreme Court and Pentonville Prison. We are visiting these locations since many aspects, I would make a conservative estimate at about 40%, of our criminal justice system (law enforcement, courts, and corrections) are based out of England. For cultural visits, we are considering of visiting too many places to list, though this includes, Parliament, Buckingham Palace (probably during the Changing of the Guard), 10 Downing Street, Roman Bath, Jack the Ripper Walk, the Tower of London, and if I keep going, your head would explode since there are so many. On a related note we are looking at Stonehenge. I have already been to Carhenge in Alliance, NE, if we do go there, I could be one of the few people in the world to have been to both. Also we have our eyes set on possible side trips: Paris, Edinburgh, and I am looking favorably at Dublin.

Now for those who may read but not know much about me, I figure I should give a bit of a biography. My name is Joshua Keating, born in Naperville, IL and came to Chadron out of Romeoville, IL (both of the Illinois towns are Chicago suburbs). I am a 22 year old senior here at CSC. I am majoring in Criminal Justice and minoring in Legal Studies and Finance, and hopefully I will be graduating in December. Anyway I apologize for the ramble, in London I probably would not have the time or energy to type this much. Though it would be a crime for me to not bring up this next point. What allows me to finance this trip is in part, two scholarships. One of the scholarships where the money was gathered together by Dr. Snare and some of the Deans here at CSC. The other was by the Team George Scholarship fund. The Team George Fund was provided to honor the memory of Dr. George Watson. He was the one that started this trip nearly four decades ago. I never met the person as he passed away shortly before I arrived. He sounded like a wonderful man. With this being the thirty-seventh trip, this trip which appears to be his flagship project seems to be going strong. So I would like to thank the people who put the money together to help me in this endeavor. I wish to make it more than their while. Here is the link to the Team George Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/137672357766/  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment