C-Hill at Sunset

C-Hill at Sunset
Here is the Sunset of C-Hill, C-Hill is a prodominate landmark at Chadron State College and of the City of Chadron, NE

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

My perspective on the Anti-Americam thoughts in Europe


Over the time of this trip, I have ran into people from all continents excluding Antarctica, I have also talked with and had discussions  about the differences between the U.S. and other areas (especially Europe) with people from about 4 or 5 countries. So of these people have been as subtle as saying they do not know if we consider ourselves to the “world’s police” or not, and as blunt as saying the hate Republicans. At the same time that person was not too happy when he heard that Obama wanted the U.S. to go into Syria. One of the differences he said was he thinks that American Liberals are more on the right 9on the political spectrum) than European Conservatives. Now those are some of the few conversations I have had with people on his subject since, while I am in England there are things I want to do beyond asking people why they hate my people. Though here are some things I have noticed, my accent has turned heads. Some people have said they loved it, others smile when they hear it, other are smiling hear it, and then turn away. Some Europeans look at Americans as exotic, others look at us as nothing new. Now I think this may be in part since I have possibly met more people from other countries then I have met people  from England, so when they come here they  don’t expect to run into one of us. Anyway, I think another reason why a lot of people around the world don’t like us is since we are invading…. Culturally. While I have gone to bed or wake up, I usually turn on the television for a bit for background noise. Even though I only turn on the TV 1-3 times daily, and probably total out to about an hour each day, and where I only have 24 channels, with 4 being music, and 5 being news, on the other 15 other channels I can find at least 1 American TV show or movie. These are all considering every station with the exception of 3 which are news or British, and the other ones are foreign language channels. When I am on a music channel, or at a restaurant or other business with music, roughly 4 out of 5 songs I hear is American.  When I was in Bath, I found a CD store/DVD store, they had more British music but so many more American DVD’s then British DVD’s. There are so many McDonald’s Burger Kings, Subways, Pizza Huts, Starbucks, and Ben and Jerry’s here. There are as many restaurants that advertise American food as there are hat  advertise Italian food.  Its lie how some Americans get so tired of seeing on labels made in China, so more and more Americans get mad at China. At the end of the day many Europeans feel like Americans, that we are full of ourselves, and that we are oblivious to everything else in the world, and that we don’t care (which goes a little against the police state idea) but both of those ideas are here. That is out dignitaries do or say something, that Europeans don’t like, that we all agree with our leaders. So I think what may be some of  the best actions we could take is show, we can be smart and sensitive to international issues. So everyone that we individual thoughts that can go against those of our leaders, and pull them back in a bit more. Also, keep performers like Justin Bieber from becoming popular.     

No comments:

Post a Comment